Call Us 02 8544 8986

Tap To Call
Home » Specialty Freight » Export Your Car Overseas

Export Your Car Overseas

If you are travelling overseas or returning to you home country, you may wish to take your car with you.

There are three options you should consider.

  • A direct RO/RO service – if available.
  • Or pack it into a container and load it onto a vessel directly.
  • If your are relocating your household goods as well – you might consider packing both your goods and your car in the same container.


What is a difference between a RO/RO and container service?

RO/RO stands for roll on roll off and is a specific car carrying service. Like taking your car on board a ferry. It is driven on at this end and driven off at the port of destination. Car export to NZ and Japan

Otherwise we just pack the car in a regular 20 foot container and it is shipped in the normal fashion on a container vessel.

Or as mentioned already – both your household goods and your car can go into the same container. Usually a 40ft container.


Which service is better?

There are a number of regular car carrying services (RO/RO) from Australia to different countries. Check with us as to which countries have a RORO service.

There are definite cost benefits to using a RORO service.

However, many ports are only serviced by container vessels, in which case the only option is for you to bring the car(s) to us for stowing into container/s.

Then your car is being shipped to the destination port.

It is important to note that the ports which service the car carriers are sometimes not the port which services containers.

So you should check with us as to the service options available to you


How to prepare your car for transportation

Because of international transportation and quarantine restrictions, when your car is loaded into the container, or vessel directly, you should ensure that your motor vehicle is steam cleaned inside and out, fuel is drained, and the battery is disconnected.

With a car carrying vessel – you deliver your car to the port. They will load your car onto the vessel for you.


What happens at the other end?

We suggest you check with the country your car is going to and check the rules and regulations they have on used car imports. Plus – we always recommend you take out marine insurance (we can organise this for you). And that you engage a customs agent at the other end to do your clearance for you.


And of course, check with us if you have any queries or would like a freight quote.

Much like our self pack container removal service for household relocations – you will need to do some of the work to export your car, as we offer a port to port service only.

But the savings you make by doing this are worth the effort.